Server Side Includes (SSI) is a feature of CGI that enables you to dynamically insert a piece of information onto any “.shtml” web page. The browser displays the inserted code as if it was hard coded onto that page. For example, if you are interested in displaying the current date and time on your Web page, add one simple SSI code onto the page:
Every account supports Server Side Includes but in order for SSI to work, your file must be named with the “.shtml” extension.
Some things you can do with SSI:
– Display the current date and time in many different formats
– Display the last modified date of a file
– Insert/Include a document inside another; and
– Execute a CGI script or a command directly from the page.
– Include a document inside another: